Veloute de Chou-Fleur et Roquefort – Cauliflower Soup with Roquefort Blue Cheese
The smooth silkiness of this cauliflower soup is a culinary match made in heaven when paired with the tangy saltiness of crumbled Roquefort blue cheese. You can serve the soup with any warm crusty bread, but a good-quality loaf of walnut sourdough makes for an extra special accompaniment.
- 40 g unsalted butter
- 1 kg cauliflower (1 small head)
- 1 litre chicken stock
- 100 g creme fraiche
- 100 g Roquefort blue cheese
- sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
- extra virgin olive oil
- chopped chives
- crusty French bread or walnut sourdough
- Remove core from cauliflower and break into small florets. Melt the butter in a heavy-based saucepan over medium heat. When butter starts to foam add the cauliflower and saute 3-4 minutes — but not too long as you don’t want it to take on any colour.
- Add the stock and bring to the boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes until cauliflower is very tender. Carefully puree hot soup in until very smooth.
- Whisk in creme fraiche and divide into serving bowls. Crumble over Roquefort cheese and season with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle with a bit of olive oil and sprinkle with chives. Serve with crusty bread or walnut sourdough.
WATCH THE VIDEO
Recipe as seen in Manu’s French Bistro. Photo credit Jennifer Jenner