In episode 6 of “Around the World with Manu” I had an amazing opportunity to spend a day with Elias, a Mexican American cook who welcomed me into his home. While we were waiting for the Cochinita Pibil to cook he showed me how to make his lime and beer marinate ceviche!
Serves 4 – 6
- 500 g shrimp or very small prawns, diced
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- ½ cucumber, peeled and finely diced
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 avocado, peeled
For the marinade
- 2 serano chillis or long green chillis
- ½ cucumber, peeled, and roughly chopped
- 75 ml Mexican beer
- 75 ml lime juice
- chilli salt
- tostadas or corn chips
- The acid in the lime juice cooks the flesh of the fish — be careful not to leave it for too long though or it will become tough and rubbery.
- To make the marinade, place chillis, cucumber, beer lime juice in a high speed blender and blend until smooth.
- Place the shrimp, red onion and cucumber into a glass or ceramic bowl. Pour over marinade, season with a little salt and toss to combine. Leave to cook in the marinade for 5 – 7 minutes. It’s best to prepare ceviche a la minute as if the seafood cooks for too long it will become tough and rubbery.
- Dice half the avocado and gently fold through the prawns. Slice the other half and drizzle with the lemon juice to stop browning.
- To serve, place a 6 cm ring mould on a serving plate, fill with ceviche and top with a few slices of avocado. Remove the ring mould, sprinkle with a little pinch of chilli salt and finish with tostadas on the side.
Don’t miss all my destination tips from my time in the US!